Don’t let the small stature of the Jack Russell Terrier (JRT) fool you, because this dog has the prey drive and tenacity of a serious predator. These clever little dogs were originally bred as hunting dogs over 200 years ago, and their boundless energy and desire to chase things has not waned a single bit over the centuries. So what kind of dog bed is most befitting for an excitable dog like this?
Before we even talking about beds, understand that if you do not find a way to use up their energy over the course of the day, then expect lots of chewing, digging, and barking. Actually, they may just chew, bark, and dig regardless because it’s in their nature. If the dog bed you select for your Jack Russell Terrier isn’t durable enough, you can expect it to be ripped to shreds in minutes.
Ideally, your home has a large, fenced yard for your JRT to stretch his legs, otherwise he’ll just do it indoors and potentially damage your belongings. You could consider getting a nice and cool elevated dog bed for your dog to use after he’s done running around the yard for the thousandth time. Keep in mind that Jack Russells don’t like being left outside in a dog house or kennel because they have a bad case of separation anxiety, so you should prepare a permanent bed for him indoors.
Best Dog Beds for Jack Russells – What to Look For?
Did we mention Jack Russell Terriers are tiny? When fully grown, they stand only 10-15 inches tall at the shoulder, and weigh only 13-17 pounds. Jack Russells that stand between 10-12 inches tall at the shoulder and are lengthier than they are tall are known as Parson Russell Terriers or Shorty Jacks. Keep this distinction in mind when you are looking for the right bed size. Some additional features the dog bed should have are:
- Hair-Resistant: Jack Russells come in three different coats: broken, smooth, and rough, and all of them shed a lot. The material of the bed cover should repel the dog hair and make it easier for you to brush off.
- Machine Washable: Since JRTs shed so much, the bed cover (or the entire bed itself) should be fully machine washable to make clean-up duty a lot smoother. Removable covers should also have decent zippers since you will be zipping and unzipping them a bunch. If the zipper gets stuck or breaks, then you will have to get a new cover which can be costly, so a good zipper is important.
- Durable:Jack Russells get bored easily if they do not exercise enough or if no one is keeping them company. Your dog will entertain himself by chewing and digging. We recommend looking for a dog bed that customer reviews claim are heavy-duty and tear-resistant. You will still have to do your part in providing vigorous exercise to tire him out a bit, however a strong bed is also recommended.
The above factors are the top criteria you should be looking for when selecting the best dog beds for Jack Russells. Some additional features that are always welcome but may drive up the cost of the bed are: being water-resistant or waterproof, orthopedic, and comes included with pillows or chew toys. If you have the funds for a premium dog bed that has all of these features, then you should consider it.
Best Dog Beds for Jack Russells Review
K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed
K9 Ballistics have developed a reputation for making the toughest, most durable dog beds, and their Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed continues this trend. The product description states that this bed is nearly indestructible, and it seems that this claim is true for smaller dogs, though some customers with dogs over 100 pounds says it doesn’t hold up.
Not only is it tough, but this dog bed is also waterproof and orthopedic. The elevated design means weight distribution is even, and air can circulate all around even from the bottom to cool off your dog. When your Jack Russell is done running around, he will no doubt want a cool place to rest, and the K9 Ballistics bed can be used both indoors and outdoors.
The industrial strength ballistic nylon that the platform is made from resists dirt, moisture, grime, and hair so cleaning up is a breeze. Lastly, K9 Ballistics is offering a 180-day warranty on their cover, providing one free replacement if the fabric is torn during this time.
- Chewproof, waterproof, hair-resistant
- Repels moisture, grime, and dirt
- Orthopedic and has great air circulation
- Can be used indoors or outdoors
- 180-day warranty for one free replacement cover
- Not so indestructible for dogs over 100 pounds, but should not be a problem for a Jack Russell Terrier
BlueBerry Pet Heavy Duty Dog Bed
After running around all day, your Jack Russell Terrier will want a place to hunker down and rest comfortably. The luxuriously designed BlueBerry Heavy Duty Dog Bed resembles a sofa that will entice your dog to rest and relax in it. The bolsters provide a comfortable headrest for your dog, as well as provides a nesting area for your dog to feel safe.
The cover is made of microsuede fabric which is scratch and tear-resistant. Not only that, but it comes with a pillow/chew toy that can keep your Jack Russell entertained and distract him from chewing the bed or your furniture. Clean-up is easy with the fully removable cover that is machine washable and can be tumble dried.
Keep in mind that the bolsters reduce the overall sleeping area, so account for the space loss when selecting the right size for the dog bed.
- Luxurious bed with included pillow and bolsters provide maximum comfort
- Microsuede fabric is tear-resistant
- Fully machine washable
- Some customers feel the cushions are over-stuffed, making it uneven for their small dog to sleep on
Brindle Waterproof Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed
Highly active dogs such as the Jack Russell Terrier may eventually start developing some joint and muscle issues due to how much they subject their body to. To keep their body pain free and well-rested, we recommend an orthopedic dog bed such as the Brindle Memory Foam Pet Bed. This thick bed has a 4-inch memory foam base that is both soft, yet stable enough to support your dog.
This combination makes it highly effective at alleviating pain caused by achy joints, hip dysplasia, and arthritis. Even younger dogs who do not have these issues can benefit from the orthopedic benefits this provides. The velour cover is removable and machine washable for easy cleaning. The cover is also hypoallergenic, resistant to dust mites, and fully waterproof.
According to a customer review, the Brindle dog bed has endured years of abuse from their dog constantly dragging it around and flipping it without tearing or flattening. Even though this dog bed is not advertised as being chewproof, we believe it holds up well.
- Orthopedic memory foam bed provides relief to dogs with achy joints, arthritis, etc.
- Thick base is soft yet supportive, will not flatten over time
- Waterproof cover will protect the memory foam in case of accidents
- Brindle does not provide replacement covers, so if it ever tears then you will have to purchase the whole bed again