The Doberman, also known as the Dobie or Dobermann, inspires fear in a lot of people because of its reputation as an aggressive and vicious dog. While Dobermans can be highly protective of their pack (family), they are actually very loyal and sociable creatures. They love to be around people and other dogs. As a stranger, don’t make any sudden, threatening movements or he will be put on high alert.
So how do you choose the best dog beds for Dobermans? Dobies are large dogs, standing at a height of 24-28 inches and weighing between 60-80 pounds between both genders. They are extremely active both physically and mentally, and can easily tear a bed apart if they haven’t expended enough energy for the day. Ideally, you have lots of stimulation for your Dobie – other dogs, family members to play with, dog toys, and large areas to run around in.
Dobermans shouldn’t be left alone, so make sure to place the dog bed in a populated area, preferably close to the fireplace. Dobies can’t stand the cold very well because of their short coat length, so the dog bed you get should be warm and cozy. Don’t be fooled by their short coat, they shed and weekly brushing should be performed. At least Dobies produce minimal odor. So when shopping for a bed, odor-resistance doesn’t have to be a major factor, but hair-resistant and machine washable should be high on the list.
Best Dog Beds for Dobermans – What to Look For
We gave a brief overview of a Doberman’s temperament, personality, and preferences above. When shopping for the best dog beds for Dobermans, it is best to keep these factors in mind otherwise your Dobie will make quick work of the average bed. Every dog is different and there may be some slight differences in temperament, however we believe these are the most important considerations you have to keep in mind when buying a Doberman dog bed:
- Chew Resistant: If you aren’t using up all of your Dobie’s energy then there’s probably nothing you can do to save the bed from getting torn apart. However, you should try to get the most heavy-duty, tough dog bed you can find just in case.
- Cozy: Dobermans can’t handle the cold very well, so you should consider getting a dog bed that has bolsters or a cover that he can burrow into. You can also put pillows and blankets in the bed yourself for extra padding and shelter.
- Hair-Resistant/Easy to Wash: Despite their short coats, Dobies can, in fact, shed and you will have to brush him weekly. You’ll also have to clean the dog bed frequently or else too much fur can accumulate, so get a bed that is easy to clean and wash.
Best Dog Beds for Dobermans Review
Snoozer Cozy Cave Pet Bed
The Snoozer Cozy Cave is the ideal dog bed for dogs that are afraid of the cold and who love to nest deep beneath the blankets. The Cozy Cave features a hooded cover made of Sherpa fabric that will make your Doberman feel like he is sleeping on a cloud. How do we know that? We totally didn’t try it out ourselves.
In addition, the base can be filled with orthopedic foam insert to protect your dog’s joints, or you can stuff it with a poly or cedar mix for ultra coziness. The hood of this bed is held up with a concealed plastic rod keeping it slightly raised so your Dobie can easily enter the bed without hassle.
Don’t worry about your Doberman shedding a bunch of hair inside the cave area. Simply remove the plastic rod, remove all of the filling, and you are left a fully machine washable cover. There are three sizes to choose from, and for a large dog like a Doberman it is recommended you purchase the extra large size bed.
- Poly/Cedar filling for extra comfort
- Sherpa Interior
- Poly Cotton Exterior
- Machine Washable
- Super cozy
- A user reported the plastic rod doesn’t lift the entrance enough for his 110 lb dog, and his dog simply lies on top of the hood
BarksBar Orthopedic Dog Bed
An active dog will need to rest his joints and muscles, and what better way to do that than on a bed with high-quality orthopedic foam that relieves pressure and provides cushioning? Even a younger dog will appreciate the comfort and support. Furthermore, you may be concerned that a large dog like a Doberman may deform or flatten the foam over time.
Users have reported the BarksBar orthopedic dog bed holds its shape well, and in fact the foam actually contours to the unique shape of your dog’s body; each and every nook and cranny. Furthermore, the cover is made of ultra soft polyester that has a quilted design to compliment your home decor.
Clean up is a breeze, because this dog bed is easy to wipe, vacuum, and spot clean. You machine wash the cover on a delicate or gentle cycle, and leave to air dry. The padded cotton walls easily contour to your dog’s head and keeps his spine straight. The inner dimensions of the BarksBar is 36”x24”, and the overall dimensions are 40”x30”10” for the large size.
- High quality orthopedic foam provides maximum comfort
- Quilted gray cover compliments home decor, is machine washable
- Cotton walls make the bed cozier and provides head and neck support
- Non-slip rubber backing keeps the bed firmly in place on smooth floors
- A user has reported that the walls need more stuffing to support larger dogs
- May be on the small side if your dog likes to stretch out when sleeping
Friends Forever Orthopedic Dog Bed Lounge Sofa
Entice your Dobie off your couch by getting him his own lounge sofa. The Friend Forever orthopedic dog bed is designed with comfort in mind. The poly-fill bolster gives your dog the support he needs to deal with arthritis or joint pain. The human-grade mattress foam also adds to the comfort and users say it is quite durable and long-lasting.
Don’t worry about “leaks” because the water-resistant liner will make the clean-up much easier. For a Doberman, you will have to get the extra large size bed, which measures in at 44”x34”x4” (the height is 10” if you include the bolsters) and supports up to 100 lbs. The corners of the bed make a nice nesting area for dogs that like it cozy.
The Friends Forever orthopedic dog bed is also easy to clean due to its hair and dander resistant cover. To clean, simply toss it into the washing machine for a gentle cycle and leave to air dry.
- Easy on your dog’s joints, even on dogs with joint pain or arthritis
- Water and hair resistant
- Comfortable poly-fill booster will provide a great night’s rest
- Backed by 1-year limited warranty
- Non-skid rubber backing can come off when washing
- A user has reported that the bed has stained his wall