Cocker Spaniels are such adorable dogs with their easy temperament, small body and long, floppy ears. They have a short stature, standing at only 14-15 inches tall at shoulder height, and weighing 24-28 pounds. Small dogs are irresistibly cute, and it’s no wonder why this breed was featured as the lead female dog in The Lady and the Tramp, a film that has made millions of people fall in love with Cocker Spaniels.
Cockers just love to snuggle into your lap and have a romp in the yard with children or other pets. They do well in small apartments, but are just as happy in a larger home. Unfortunately, due to their popularity a lot of unscrupulous dog breeders have bred Cocker Spaniels without regard for healthy genetics and that is why many Cockers have a predisposition to certain health problems.
When selecting the best dog beds for Cocker Spaniels, we prefer to err on the side of caution and choose beds which can handle any situation. Cockers may encounter such health problems as: 1) Hypothyroidism, which can lead to hair loss and obesity, 2) Primary seborrhea, which is when their skin produces excess oil, making it greasy and producing a foul odor, and 3) Hip dysplasia and other joint problems which can restrict their movement and cause pain.
With all of this in mind, let’s go over what we are looking for in a dog bed that can handle these potential issues.
Best Dog Beds for Cocker Spaniels – What to Look For
Popular dogs such as the Cocker Spaniel may be affected by numerous health problems because the demand is so high, breeders throw caution to the wind and breed carelessly, and new owners keep on buying Cockers with poor genetics and unruly temperaments.
With that said, not all Cockers are like this, and yours may be a happy, healthy pupper from a reputable breeder. Even so, we recommend you purchase a Cocker Spaniel dog bed with these features:
- Waterproof/Water-resistant: Even when purchased from a good breeder and properly socialized, Cocker Spaniels can be nervous creatures and may not be able to control their bladder all the time, leading to involuntary urination.
- Odor-resistant: If your Cocker has greasy skin due to a health condition, he can produce a foul odor that can linger on the dog bed. Also any potty accidents may contribute to the odor.
- Orthopedic: Even if your dog is fine now, as dogs age they may develop joint problems and arthritis, among other physical ailments. An orthopedic dog bed will give them the comfort and reprieve from pain they need to have a good night’s rest.
- Hair-resistant: If you do not brush your Cocker Spaniel every day, they will shed hair everywhere, including on their bed. It is best to find dog beds with fully removable and machine washable covers to assist in cleaning.
Not all of these may apply to your dog, however it doesn’t hurt to look for dog beds with these features. Here are the ones we recommend.
Best Dog Beds for Cocker Spaniels Review
PetFusion Ultimate Orthopedic Dog Bed
There’s lots to like about the PetFusion Ultimate dog bed, such as its high-quality memory foam base that provides comfort to all dogs, but particularly those suffering from joint pain and arthritis. The bolsters in the PetFusion Ultimate are generously filled and provides a good resting area for your dog’s head and neck.
The removable cover is easy to clean because it is machine washable. Furthermore, it is tear-resistant and water-resistant, so it gives you piece of mind that it can withstand some of your Cocker’s antics. The PetFusion Ultimate also comes with a 24 month warranty if any part breaks due to a manufacturer defect. Overall, this is a competently made bed that will be sure to provide your Cocker Spaniel a comfortable night’s rest.
- High-quality memory foam base
- Water-resistant machine washable cover
- Support bolsters provide nestling areas and a headrest
- 24 month warranty
- One user was shocked that some assembly is required
- The fabric may sometimes hold onto dog hair
Brindle Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed
The Brindle memory foam pet bed was designed with comfort as one of its top priorities. Its 4 inch thick foam base is comprised of two inches of memory foam on the top layer to relieve your dog’s pressure points, and two inches of higher-density foam base to provide support on the bottom. This combination makes the Brindle the perfect blend of soft for maximum comfort, yet firm so your dog can still move around without sinking into the bed.
The cover of the bed also contributes to the overall comfort of the bed, and is designed with a breathable, waterproof layer to protect the memory foam from messes. It is durable, long-lasting, and easy to clean. Just unzip and toss it into the washing machine. The Brindle memory foam pet bed is also designed to fit into most dog crates.
- Extremely thick foam base for such a small bed
- Waterproof cover protects the foam from getting soaked
- Machine washable cover
- No replacement covers for sale
Dogbed4less Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
The Dogbed4less dog bed comes with 3 covers – an internal zippered cover that is waterproof and protects the memory foam insert pad. It also has a durable denim cover that you zip over the waterproof cover, and a backup suede cover that you can use while cleaning the denim cover. All of these covers are extremely durable, but also easy to clean since they are machine washable and dry-able.
The foam insert is made from high-density memory foam which is significantly denser and heavier than regular foam, so you can be sure it will not flatten over time while providing years of comfort for your Cocker Spaniel. Furthermore, the foam is hypoallergenic, and the denim can be flipped inside out to benefit pets that are sensitive to synthetic fabrics. You can also purchase replacement covers if needed. This bed is a heavy-duty solution to dogs that are energetic and like to dig and chew.
- Human grade mattress provides therapeutic comfort for pressure point relief
- Comes with a bonus cover, allowing you to alternate between the denim and suede covers as needed
- Waterproof cover protects the foam from accidents
- Bed cover can make a crinkly sound
- Some users have reported that the cover is not waterproof, but rather water-resistant, however other users claimed it is indeed waterproof. Perhaps there was a manufacturer defect in some of the beds.