Pomeranians have a larger-than-life view of themselves, and we mean this quite literally. You will often find these feisty dogs barking up a storm at larger dogs or humans they don’t yet trust. This David and Goliath scenario is often amusing, since Poms only stand between 7 to 12 inches tall at the shoulder, and weigh 3 to 7 pounds, however it can sometimes get them in trouble if a dog or toddler decides to play rough with them.
When selecting the best dog beds for Pomeranians, you will be looking for a dog bed that is small and compact. Poms should generally be kept indoors, because outdoors they are viewed as prey by predators such as large birds. If your house doesn’t have a yard or you live in a small apartment, Pomeranians are perfectly suitable to live in these environments.
Despite this, Poms are high energy dogs who like to go out for walks. They will strut up and down the street with head held high, while barking at dogs twice their size with a brazen attitude. You want them to expend their energy, otherwise they may be restless at home and destroy their dog bed and other furniture. Just be careful that your Pom isn’t overheating on sunny days, and that you can intervene in case other animals mistake this little dog for an easy target.
Best Dog Beds for Pomeranians – What to Look For
As mentioned above, Pomeranians are quite small so the dog bed you find doesn’t have to be very large either; perfect if you don’t have much free space in your dwelling anyways. Poms are independent creatures with a bold temperament, and this can make them hard to house train which is why crate training is recommended. As such, the best dog beds for Poms should take these factors into account:
- Fits Standard Crate: You want a dog bed that has the versatility of fitting into a crate to help with their crate training. At any point, you can take it out and use it as a regular dog bed.
- Durable: Due to their high energy, Pomeranians may get the urge to dig or chew even after you’ve taken them out for a stroll. The dog bed should be scratch and chew-resistant, and capable of taking some punishment. Ideally, it comes with a chew toy or you can place your own chew toys in the bed to keep them occupied as well.
- Open Design: An open design allows the small Pomeranian to enter the bed very easily, as well as provide as much air flow as possible so that they do not overheat. Beds with bolsters or hoods may be too cozy and make it harder for a small dog to get inside.
Some other features that are optional but nice to have are waterproof or water-resistant covers, hair-resistant, breathable materials, and a great price for the value. The upcoming short reviews of Pomeranian dog beds were selected with most of these criteria in mind. We also scoured the customer reviews section and weeded out products with any misleading or outright inaccurate descriptions so that only the best user-tested beds are recommended.
Best Dog Beds for Pomeranians Review
Brindle Waterproof Memory Foam Dog Bed
Let’s start the reviews off right with a heavy-duty bed that has nearly all the amenities that you (and your dog) want in a dog bed: a waterproof liner protecting the dense, yet soft memory foam pad, durable, machine washable cover and hypoallergenic materials. The Brindle dog bed comes with a 3-year warranty, and can be used in a crate.
Many stories from customer reviews back these claims up. People with dogs who are recovering from surgery or suffering from hip dysplasia have noted that their dogs get a good night’s rest on the Brindle bed. Others claim that their dogs have been abusing the bed for years, dragging it around and flipping it over to hide toys, and is still holding up years later. Some complaints are that there are no replacement covers for sale, and that the foam can be a bit stiff.
- Waterproof liner protects the foam pad
- Orthopedic memory-foam can treat dogs with arthritis, hip dysplasia, and joint pains
- Fully removable, machine washable cover
- 3-year warranty
- Memory foam might be a little stiff
- Cannot purchase replacement covers
Milliard Padded Orthopedic Dog Bed
What makes the Milliard Padded dog bed stand out is the durable egg crate luxe foam it uses as padding to provide comfort and support that few other beds can match. There is a pillow top layer on top that provides even more comfort, perfect for ailing dogs that are suffering from physical problems. Milliard provides a guarantee that “if you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, neither are we”, so don’t be afraid to contact them if something is not up to your standards.
Customers have, for some reason, tried out the dog bed for themselves and they claim it is comfier than their couch. Their dogs seem to think so too, with many owners saying they finally got their picky dog to sleep on a bed they love. It also fits into standard size crates, and the cover can be removed and machine washed for easy cleaning.
- Special egg crate luxe foam provides hard to beat comfort, great for dogs with disabilities as well
- Easy to remove cover and fully machine washable
- Milliard Guarantee, willing to back their product “100%”
- One customer claims the bed is not “standard crate size” with picture proof, however another customer claims it is, also with pictures, so perhaps it was just a manufacturer defect
- Foam may be too soft for larger dogs, but for a Pomeranian it should hold its shape
BarkBox Memory Foam Dog Bed
The BarkBox was designed for small dogs in mind and will also fit perfectly inside crates. Since it is an orthopedic, memory foam dog bed, you can expect it to provide comfort for all dogs, but especially those with physical disabilities. The included squeaker toy is perfect for your hyperactive Pomeranian to play with.
Furthermore the waterproof lining will protect the foam from any accidents, and this bed comes with a 1-year warranty. The BarkBox is available in many colors and sizes, so getting one to match your home decor or crate should be quite easy. One customer had an amusing story of how their BarkBox bed survived a potty accident, and was able to be fully cleaned without any odors or stains left on the cover.
- Waterproof and resistant to potty accidents. Seriously.
- Orthopedic memory foam is great for relieving pressure points while providing comfort and a good night’s rest
- Many colors to choose from
- Fits inside standard crate sizes
- Some customers claim their product did not expand to the listed size once removed from the vacuum seal