Staffordshire Bull Terriers, known also as Staffies or Staffords, are small to medium in size and have a powerful, muscular build. Staffies love being around people and they require at least an hour of daily exercise to keep them satisfied. Otherwise, they will be restless and may use that energy toward destroying your property.
So, how do you select the best dog beds for Staffies if they require so much upkeep? Other than always supervising or playing with your pet, you also need the most durable, heavy-duty bed you can get on the market. Staffies have a reputation for chewing and digging, and this problem is exacerbated if they are bored or lonely.
Crate training is also important for your Staffie since there are times when you have to leave him alone but you don’t want him running wild in your home due to his destructive potential. A dog crate can keep him at bay, but also acts as a safe haven that he can retreat to when he is stressed out or tired. That is why it is a nice bonus if the bed is also standard crate size so you can provide this comfort for your dog
Best Dog Beds for Staffies – What to Look For
It is important that you find a dog bed that is highly durable and can withstand lots of punishment. Staffies are known to chew and dig, especially when they are young. This problem is even worse if they are lonely, bored, or restless.
On average, Staffies are around 14-16 inches tall at the shoulder, with females weighing around 24-34 pounds and males weighing 28-38 pounds. They are considered small to medium in size, and the size of the dog bed you buy should reflect that. Staffies cannot handle heat very well due to their short face which makes breathing difficult. When selecting the best dog beds for Staffies, you should find beds that meet these criteria:
- Durable: The bed needs to be able to withstand chewing, digging, and scratching from a medium sized dog. Chew toys may be needed to keep your Staffie occupied, and some beds come included with their own squeaky toys.
- Cool: Due to the Staffies’ short face, breathing is difficult for them and they do not handle hot, humid days very well. They need a cool place to rest, and flat dog beds that allow for more airflow are ideal.
- Fits Standard Crate Size: Sometimes you will have to keep your Staffie in a crate and having their dog bed with them can keep them comfortable and relaxed.
Dog beds with the above features are highly recommended. Some optional, luxury features are things like having a waterproof liner and a cover that is made with hair-resistant materials, as well as being fully removable and machine washable. All of these may make the dog bed cost a lot more, but if you have the money or see a good discount then definitely consider it.
Best Dog Beds for Staffies Reviews
Brindle Designer Memory Foam Pet Bed
Your Staffie will love how soft, yet supportive this durable dog bed feels against his body. With 2 inches of memory foam and another 2 inches of dense support form, the mattress is 4 inches thick, will never flatten, and will contour to the shape of your Staffie’s body. The velour cover is soft, hypoallergenic, resistant to dust mites, and is fully removable and machine washable.
Due to how energetic Staffies are, as they get older their joints will start to experience pain and discomfort. It is important that they have the support of an orthopedic dog bed like this to ensure they can still get a good night’s rest. The Brindle ped bad can also withstand tons of punishment, with customers who have had the bed for over 2 years saying it is still holding strong. The foam is protected by a waterproof liner and can fit inside most generic dog crates. For the price, few other beds beat the value this provides.
- Waterproof Liner protects memory foam
- Very thick mattress will never flatten and provides comfort for aging dogs
- Fits in most generic crates
- Hypoallergenic, resistant to dust mites
- No replacement covers sold
- Some customers feel the bed is too stiff for their dog
BarkBox Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed
We love recommending orthopedic dog beds because if they can provide comfort even for dogs with physical disabilities, then how much more comfortable is it for dogs that are still young and healthy? The BarkBox memory foam dog bed will not only relieve the pressure points and aches for all dogs that sleep on it, but it is waterproof and machine washable. It even comes with a free toy which is perfect for Staffies that love to chew.
Many dogs seem to intuitively realize that this bed is right for them. Customers have said that as soon as they plopped the dog bed on the floor, their dog went straight to sleep on it. You can also put it inside crates, which can help with crate training. Some customers report that the bed is slightly smaller than advertised, so getting a size up is recommended.
- Orthopedic memory foam is therapeutic for aging dogs and comfortable for all
- Seriously waterproof; one customer reported that the bed survived a tummy ache accident without any seepage or lingering stains
- Comes included with free chew toy
- May need to size up a bed
- Zipper may not be the best
The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed
Yet another great option for a waterproof, orthopedic dog bed. Beds that can contour to the shape of your dog’s body will keep their joints mobile for longer, even into their senior years. It is an excellent preventative method to keep the joints healthy in dogs that are predisposed to debilitating joint conditions.
The Dog’s Bed does this job beautifully, in addition to being waterproof to protect against accidents due to incontinence. Replacement covers are sold at a fraction of the price of the cost of the entire bed just in case something goes horribly wrong. The covers are fully removable and machine washable for easy clean-up.
- Orthopedic foam is comfortable and will revitalize your aging dog’s joints
- Water resistant
- Replacement covers are sold
- Machine washable
- Cover can be a bit noisy and slippery
- Advertised as waterproof, but is only water-resistant